Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Chapter 8


Focus Question:
How can teachers use email or instant messaging to foster information exchanges with and among students?

Before taking this technology class, I could never imagine new technologies being integrated within the classroom setting; I would have never considered using technologies on a regular basis in the classroom as a norm. Boy was I wrong! Reading this book expanded my knowledge about technology in ways that I could never understand, especially when it comes to this new generation of children. They are always using some sort of technology/gadget: from social networking, to anything that has an Apple logo on it, the Kindle, hand held video games, and the list goes on-and-on.
Children are the largest users of email and IM (instant messaging), so why not use that form of communication with our students as well? Information will get out the students in a quicker manner by using email/IM as well. Teachers can also use this way of communication to reach out to, not only theirs students, but to their colleagues and the students’ families as well.
 
Tech Tool:

My favorite tech tool from this chapter was the Digital Image Scanner. After reading the about the Tech Tool, I still did not understand how I would be able to use it myself, so I decided to do some research; I actually found that the Digital Image Scanner is simply a scanner that scans images. (I guess I let the name of the Tech Tool scare me a little.  J) Anyway, you think I would put two-and-two together when it comes to scanning; I scan documents all of the time but it would have never crossed my mind that I would be able to use the same concepts with pictures. Weird,  right? J These scanners come in all shapes and sizes. The following is a picture of a scanner that would best suit my needs - it costs about $120.00.
 
Photo credit to Mustek
Summary:
 
I was extremely comfortable with the information that Chapter 8 provided - probably because I was familiar with the subject matter. My mother always says that communication is key within every relationship; from personal, to business, but especially with our students. The way we communicate with our students will set the tone for the entire school year and will determine whether one is an effective teacher or not. Utilizing new technologies like: discussion boards, teacher/classroom websites, email, IM, blogs, or cell phones will make the classroom setting a much more enjoyable environment for our students to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment